1 cup oats
1.5 tbsp flax meal
1 tbsp sesame or hemp seeds
1.5 tbsp pumpkin seeds
¼ cup puffed rice cereal
Dash of salt
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup agave nectar
4 tbsp butter (dairy or plant based) or olive oil
½ cup peanut butter
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup dried nuts and fruit of your choice
- Combine all of the dry ingredients (not brown sugar).
- In a small pot, add brown sugar, agave, and butter.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer until thick.
- Add the nut butter and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Fold the syrup into the oat mixture. This will be sticky and rubber gloves will help to minimize the mess.
- Prepare an 8x8 in a pan lined with plastic wrap or sprayed with pan release.
- Once the ingredients are fully combined, press into the prepared pan.
- Cover in plastic wrap and push down on the top of the bars to compress. .
- Let the bars cool completely.
- Cut into even sized bars.
Recipe adapted from the Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts by Lolita Sereleas